The Collection

King Kendrick


From within the heart of Compton, California, comes this year's best hip-hop album. If you do not know who Kendrick Lamar is you may want to pay close attention.


A concept album full of dark and gripping storytelling, GKMC is Kendrick Lamar's look back at the life and city that shaped him. From a twisted love/lust story, a home robbery or two, to spiritual redemption this album is everything you want it to be and then some. Kendrick's slick vocals push and pull you through a world of drugs, violence, and desperation. It's Kendrick's ability to provide a glimpse of hope among the darkness that keeps listeners transfixed. 

From track one listeners are plunged into Mr. Lamar's world. On "Bitch, don't kill my vibe" Kendrick talks of his rising fame and how he feel's it's changing his life. He hopes that he can remain himself even after fame and fortune.
"Look inside of my soul and you can find gold and maybe get rich.
Look inside of your soul and you can find out it never exist.
I can feel the changes,
I can feel a new life." - Bitch Don't Kill My Vibe
On "Money Trees" and "Backseat Freestyle" Kendrick talks of his hustling lifestyle and trying to survive in the lost streets of Compton. Themes of success and failure boldly contrast each other as Lamar paints a character that is fighting to do more than survive.
"Poppin pills in the lobby and I pray they don't find her naked. And I pray you niggas is Satan, shooters go after Judas. Jesus Christ, if I live life on my knees, ain't no need to do this" - Backseat Freestyle
Questions of spirituality and religion litter the album. "Sing About Me, I'm Dying of Thirst" sees a Kendrick Lamar who's recently lost a close friend, confessing his demons and questioning his actions. Kendrick wants his life to have purpose and his name to live on long after his demise.

"I woke up this morning and figured I'd call you, In case I'm not here tomorrow. I'm hoping that I can borrow a piece of mind. I'm behind on what's really important. My mind is really distorted. I find nothing but trouble in my life." - Sing About Me, I'm Dying of Thirst

The final few songs see Kendrick and his mentor, Dr. Dre, lementing over the city that's raised them. The album wraps and listeners find themselves having experienced one of the most compelling and cohesive pieces of music in a long time. GKMC asserts itself as an instant classic and sees Kendrick Lamar rise to a mantle only  few rappers can. All hail, King Kendrick!

THROUGH THE LENS Designed by Templateism | MyBloggerLab Copyright © 2016

Through the Lens. Powered by Blogger.